The Srinivasa Ramanujan Institute for Basic Sciences was inaugurated on the 7th of February 2013 by the Hon’ble Chief Minister of Kerala Shri Oomen Chandy in the presence of Prof. Ada Yonath, Nobel Laureate, Weizamann Institute, Israel and Prof. M.Vijayan, Albert Einstein Professor, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore. at Mascot Hotel Trivandrum to commemorate the 125th birth anniversary of Srinivasa Ramanujan an Indian Mathematician who made significant contribution on mathematical analysis, number theory, infinite series, and continued fractions.
The institution is an R&D centre under the Kerala State Council for Science Technology and Environment- Government of Kerala.
The institution will be setup in the RIT campus which is located at Pampady, Kottayam.
The Institute does not plan to offer any degree awarding program. The prime objectives of the institution are as follows :
- Promote original, often speculative thinking that produces advances in knowledge that change the way we understand the nature.
- Undertake research studies which will make significant contributions in any of the broad areas in basic sciences.
- Cater intellectual interactions among scientists all across the globe.
- Build a strong network of scientists who could conduct original research in challenging theoretical areas.
- Facilitate training of young scientists in basic sciences.